Voting for the David Gemmell Legend Award ends on Saturday, and anyone can vote for free. If you’ve read the nominated works, I encourage you to vote. The nominees are:
- The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch
- Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
- The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett
- War Master’s Gate by Adrian Tchaikovsky
- A Memory of Light by Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan
Four Writing Excuses episodes have aired that I haven’t yet mentioned on the blog. These are: Showing Emotion, Creator vs. Creation, Sanderson’s 3rd Law, and a microcasting episode that touches on these topics:
- Should you include your prologue as one of the three chapters you send in a submission packet?
- How do you get out of the spot where your protagonist has no motivation?
- What’s the best way to prove to a spouse that your writing is more than a hobby?
- How do you get back into a project after taking a break from it?
- Where do you start research for historical fiction?
- Let’s say you sold your first book. How do you tackle book 2 in a series?
- How do you go about writing an overarching setting, like Brandon’s “Cosmere?”
- What part about being a writer do you most enjoy, besides the actual writing?
Shawn Speakman has put a short interview with me up at Suvudu, mostly about Firefight.
An interpretation of Shallan’s lullaby from Words of Radiance has been recorded by Vi Hart. Give it a listen!